Straighter teeth are a great investment. This is a chance for a person to take control of their appearance and oral health. An orthodontist has many tools and resources so that people can smile without hesitation and will be without any mouth or jaw pain. Though there are many dentists that offer such alignment, it is best to work with a skilled orthodontist. The following are some of the top reasons to straighten teeth with an orthodontist.
- Save time. A dentist can learn about Invisalign and other alignment treatments but may not fully understand this. After all, an orthodontist goes to dental school and then takes on a two or three year residency focused on orthodontic treatment. This cannot be matched by dentists who attend certifications and trainings. This means that people will spend more time than is necessary on treatment and that it may not be as efficient as with an orthodontist. Why make multiple trips to the dentist’s office when an orthodontist can get the job done in half the time?
- Finish Treatment. A dentist may understand the basics of orthodontic treatment but not the full process. Thus, often, such professionals can begin treatment but may not be able to finish it. In such cases, referrals have to be made to other area professionals and an orthodontist may have to get involved. This wastes people time and energy.
- Expert Diagnosis. A professional orthodontist is skilled in the art of diagnosis. This ensures that a quick inspection of the mouth will help a professional understand which treatment option is best for the individual. After all, there is a big difference between correcting a gap in one’s teeth and major jaw issues. Not every treatment is well suited for every situation. An orthodontist understands how to determine which treatment to use so that a person is taken care of and the issues are dealt with efficiently. The wrong option could be costly.
- Identify Issues. Professionals will be able to spot any possible issues that the patient may not be aware of. This could prevent disease and major jaw issues. After all, teeth shifting affects more than a smile. Everything from one’s speech to one’s facial features and jaw alignment can be affected.
- Education and Financing Resources. An experienced orthodontist will be able to explain all steps and processed linked to teeth straightening. The more a patient understands, the more prepared he or she is. If a person understands the impact aligners, braces, or retainers have, then he or she can monitor progress and will be more likely to follow an orthodontist’s recommendations. This is a chance to educate people on the short- and long-term benefits of different treatment plans and what to expect. Additionally, experts will also have a lot of information about oral health and how to finance treatment. People get what they pay for, which is why it pays to invest in professionals who are experts in orthodontic care.
Dr. Joseph T. Hung is a top 1% Invisalign orthodontist, dentist and orthodontic expert, award-winning doctor and halitosis specialist. His practice, RockCenter Orthodontics, is a leader in Invisalign and orthodontics – the art of straightening teeth for patients throughout Manhattan, New York and the tri-state. Dr. Hung is also the founder of Orthodontist Insight, a blog on orthodontics to educate people on dentistry.